FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What flavours do you offer?
A list of our signature cake flavours is on the site but if you want something not on the list just ask and we can probably make it.
- Can I have different flavoured cakes on each tier?
Yes, you can have different flavours for each tier but be sure to consider how the flavours will be served to your guests
- What type of icing can we have?
The usual icings are fondant (not to be confused with almond flavoured marzipan), chocolate ganache or buttercream. Fondant is the standard icing for wedding cakes and custom-designed special occasion cakes as it gives a smooth flawless finish and is great for detailed work.
- Do you offer cake tastings?
Yes! Cake tastings are very important and we are happy to meet with you in our studio to finalise your cake proposal and to offer a cake tasting so you can get an idea of our baking skills. Tastings are free of charge and what’s on offer will depend on the cake orders I have that week. However, if you have specific cake flavours you would like to try which would require specific baking for your tasting we are happy to accommodate but a small fee may be payable. Contact us to arrange a tasting.
- Are there any limitations to what cake flavours and/or fillings can be used for decorated cakes?
Unfortunately yes. Wedding cakes are generally on display for quite some time so this will affect what can be used, ie. no cream or cream cheese based fillings or anything that would require refrigeration. Also fondant icing and handmade sugar decorations should not be refrigerated so therefore cannot be used on a cake that needs refrigeration.
- Do you deliver cakes?
Yes we deliver. Charges are outlined below:
– Noosaville area $8.00
– Noosa Heads to Peregian Beach area $12.00
– Coolum, Eumundi $20.00
– Marcoola area $30.00
– Maroochydore area $40.00
– Caloundra area $70.00
– North Brisbane $170
Cakes will not be left at unattended addresses, and additional charges may be incurred if redelivery is required.
If you hire a cupcake stand that requires delivery and collection additional fees will apply.
- How much will I expect to pay for a wedding cake?
Wedding cakes vary considerably in price. Biggest cost drivers are size and detailed decorations. If you are on a tight budget consider a cake with very little decoration. A free quote and proposal will be provided after discussing your desires, and alterations can always be made to suit your budget. Please see our Pricing Page for more details.
- I’m not sure what I want, can you design something for me?
At Sugar Dreams we love the opportunity to have artistic license to create original cake designs, or we can work on a design together. Details to consider when designing a cake include: the individual for whom it is intended; their hobbies and traits; the theme of the occasion and the statement you are trying to make. More particular details to consider for designing wedding cakes include; colours of the bride and bridesmaid’s fabric and any flowers that you intend to use. Contact us to organise a personal meeting in our studio.
- Do you hire cupcake stands and dessert buffet items?
Yes, stands can be hired on a first come, first served basis on the following terms:
– $30 hire fee plus a $100 refundable bond.
– If hire items are not returned, or are returned broken, chipped or changed in an way (including do-it-yourself repairs) the $100 bond will be charged in full.
– Stands hired for weekend events must be returned by 5pm the following Wednesday or a $20/day late fee will be charged.
– Stands agreed to be collected by Sugar Dreams will be charged a fee for the relevant delivery area.
- When should I book my cake?
Below is a guide of suggested minimum time limits for orders, obviously the earlier you place your order the less likely that the day will be booked out. However, we sometimes can accommodate last minute orders!
– Wedding Cakes: minimum 1-2 months (remember spring is very busy!)
– Celebration Cakes: 2 weeks
A deposit will be required for confirmation of an order with the balance payable 1-2 weeks prior to the event.